Which Type of Friend Are You?: 5 Types of Friendships We Want to Avoid
Okay, so why am I talking about friendships when the website is about teen sexual purity? I will tell you why, my friend. It’s important to look at many different elements of your life when it comes to fighting for your sexual purity. The way you behave around your friends and family is a good indication of how you will behave with your future husband and children. Did you ever think about that?
Well, what if you never had a good example when it came to relationships in general and because of that you’ve haven’t had the best track record? That’s ok. The awesome Word of God says, “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities” (Luke 16:10). Forget the past and consider part of the training for the awesomeness that is yet to come. Now let’s take a look of the different types of friends we may encounter or have been ourselves and want to avoid:
1) Frenemy Freda– We all know her. Mmmhmm. She is the one who smiles in your face but talks behind your back.
Fast Forward to Wifeyhood: She puts on the smile while holding his hand but talks about her husband behind his back to her friends, family, whoever would listen.
2) Copycat Catie– She is not her own person but takes on the likes and personality of someone else. Now it’s true that people can share interests but this is a few steps over friendly sharing into stalkerhood.
Fast forward to Wifeyhood: She loves everything her husband loves and has a hard time doing her own thing which then becomes overbearing and suffocating. Usually answers the question, “What would you like to do tonight, Honey?” with “Whatever YOU want to do?”
3) Attention-Grabbing Alexis: She is the type to steal people’s thunder. You get an award for scholastic achievement, she brags about how she saved kittens from a burning bus.
Fast Forward to Wifeyhood: Her husband gets a promotion in his job, she throws a party according to her taste and the “congratulations” speech is centered around her.
4) Negative Nancy: Yes, we have heard of her before. Everything is negative. She can be emotionally draining. I’m not saying its not okay to share when you are going through something or have someone else share. Again, it’s when it becomes too much.
Fast Forward to Wifeyhood: She complains about everything. She is never satisfied and will push her husband because for her it’s never enough. “Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife” (Prov. 21:9). Ouch!
5) Deceptive Debbie: You never know if what she is saying is truth or a lie. It’s hard to feel bad for her because you aren’t sure if her sad stories are real. The other thing is she believes her own lies! It can be exhausting trying to keep up.
Fast Forward to Wifeyhood: The husband may lose a lot of relationships because she is being deceptive and in the end may not know who to believe which can be more than frustrating.
Do any of these friends sound familiar to you? Do you see yourself in any of these ladies? If you are personally one of these people, I wanted to give you a glimpse into the future so you can start changing your mentality now. Ask God. Am I any of these? What can I do to improve my relationships?
The most important aspect to all of this is balance. Is it okay to have a little attention? Is it okay to let someone know when you are down? Yes! However, when it starts to affect your friendships then you need to look at little closer and see what you can do to change.
If this people are in your life, then I would suggest either talking it out, getting advice from mutual trustworthy friends, taking a break, prayer for guidance, and just general direction for figuring out who you can have your in life without it affecting you spiritually, mentally, and sometimes physically. The best thing is to ask. Click here for examples of people you want in your life to help you become a better friend, to help evaluate the people in your life, and to just be a part in your life in general. You are going to need all the help you get to remain sexually pure.
Basket of blessings!
Jesus, family, ministry, and lots of coffee! My heart comes from being a young teen girl who didn’t know much and found Jesus in a dark time. My ministry focuses on the heart of God for this generation to make Godly decisions especially in the area of purity. A blog for all ages because God’s Word is eternal and has no age limit!