Starting a Life of Sexual Purity: 5 Steps to Get You Headed in the Right Direction
Congratulations! You are in a place in your life where you have decided to live a life of sexual purity. The question may be now, “Where do I start? Many people may have a hard time knowing where to begin, which areas to tackle first, and might even become super overwhelmed with the whole process. No worries, God doesn’t expect us to get it all in one day. “So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord–who is the Spirit–makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image” (2 Cor. 3:18, NLT). It’s a process and that’s okay.
Whether or not you have someone special in your life, these next few ideas are a good step in the right direction:
1) Repent– Come before your God, Daddy, Comforter, with ALL of the stuff that has been burdening your heart. Take this time to free yourself from any hidden secrets you have been holding onto, ANY sexual stuff that has went on whether or not it was under your consent, and ask for forgiveness, direction, and healing. Repentance is more than just saying, “I’m sorry”, it’s coming broken to your God in heaven and asking for His help to be restored. Your relationship with Him will give you the strength you need on your journey to remaining sexually pure.
2) Accountability Partner(s)– Time to call God’s army. This means anyone in your life who you know is strong in Christ, those prayer warriors at home or in your church, Pastors who have been an example in your life, anyone who knows and loves God deeply, you know who those people are. You can recognize God’s joy. Meet with them, talk about your goals, ask for scripture, prayer, advice, and most of all accountability. Accountability partners will check up on you and call you out, in love, when they need to.
3) Take a look at your life– Take a moment and look at your life right now. Is there anything you can immediately see that needs to go? Usually there is something in our behavior or habits, which triggered our heart and caused the movement for change. Dive into that place with one of your accountability partners. Start there and ask God for direction.
4) Write down the why– Why remain sexually pure? There is a reason. Which reason stands out to you the most? Write down those scriptures that will help you stand on your reason and be a reference to go back to if you ever lose your way. The why is important because it will help you understand and keep focused on your goal.
5) Boundaries– Start setting some boundaries and writing them down. Even if you are still single, writing down boundaries now will help you when are in a relationship. You are able to vocalize what you are and are not looking for in a dating relationship. For more ideas, click here.
Remember, God loves you. He has an amazing life waiting for you; you cannot even imagine. Having a game plan along with the army God has given you will help in this process of change. Change is good and necessary for our walk with God. Instead of rejecting it, embrace it.
“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
Baskets of Blessings!
Jesus, family, ministry, and lots of coffee! My heart comes from being a young teen girl who didn’t know much and found Jesus in a dark time. My ministry focuses on the heart of God for this generation to make Godly decisions especially in the area of purity. A blog for all ages because God’s Word is eternal and has no age limit!