Depression: 15 Ways to Roundhouse Kick Depression Out of Your Life
We all have difficult times in our life. Sometimes the sadness lingers longer and we need a Holy Spirit jumpstart to get depression out of our systems. Here are a few quick ways to help you feel better:
1) LAUGH– Laughter has always been the best medicine. Look up some Christian comedians (yes they are actually funny) and check out their videos. Laugh your way into a better mood
2) PAINT YOUR NAILS– I don’t know about you but I always feel better when I have a fresh new coat of the hottest nail polish. A little color goes a long way.
3) BAKE SOMETHING YUMMY– Of course don’t go ballistic tearing up whole cakes but a little something sweet is always good for the soul. If you have dietary restrictions I guarantee you can find healthy sweet recipes online.
4) TAKE A BUBBLE BATH– There’s just something about bubbles that just scream relaxation. That combined with the hot water to help ease stressed out muscles will help you feel better in more ways than one.
5) PLAY WITH SOME ANIMALS– For some reason, animals just know when you are feeling blue and have a good way of being chicken soup for the soul. So take Fido out, ran around, throw some things, tackle, and snuggle.
6) GO OUT IN NATURE– Escape to the woods, stomp around in a babbling brook, check out the stars. God created these things for our enjoyment and they are a therapy in itself.
7) GIRLS NIGHT– Sometimes you just need those girls who know you the best to take you out and remind you of the good things in life. This is usually combined with laughter so you kill two birds with one stone (just don’t actually kill birds).
8) CREATE SOMETHING– Hey Adele didn’t get her fame from sitting around being depressed. She wrote songs and we all sang along with her. Although I wouldn’t recommend sitting around listening to her for hours at a time (this will not help with depression) but why not take your frustration and use it as inspiration. Poems, songs, dances, oh my!
9) GET YOUR HAIR DONE– A new look with always give you a fresh perspective. Cut it, dye it, get extensions, ask your parent’s permission…lolol. You’ll feel great and that just might be the push you need to get moving.
10) TAKE A ZUMBA CLASS– I say Zumba because it will get your blood flowing, the music is popping, and you can dance your way to feeling better and looking better.
11) TALK– Find that one person you can be completely honest with and spill your guts! Talking about things is therapy and doing it with the right person will help you separate fact from fiction.
12) HUGS!– Have you received a much needed hug? Go to your favorite family member or friend (not talking about that hottie you’ve been eyeing..nice try!) and get that much needed hug. Sometimes a little affection can help melt away the pain.
13) SING YOUR HEART OUT– That’s right, I don’t care if you can sing or not. Find your favorite song and sing your heart out. Who cares if you know the words or not? You might want to warn people.
14) READ– If there is something specific you are depressed about, why not read more about it? For instance, you are having a problem forgiving someone. Why not read what the bible has to say and find a book that talks more about what forgiveness means.
15) DO IT– Usually when I’m feeling depressed it’s usually because I failed to do something. I’m talking about positive things. For instance, you really want to get a job. Instead of being depressed about it, go out and find one or volunteer in the meantime.
As long as you’re breathing, you can change for the better. Stop wasting time, mental space, emotions, and move towards healing! Jesus loves you too much for you to be sad. He has better for you.
“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all…” (Psalm 34:18-19).
Jesus, family, ministry, and lots of coffee! My heart comes from being a young teen girl who didn’t know much and found Jesus in a dark time. My ministry focuses on the heart of God for this generation to make Godly decisions especially in the area of purity. A blog for all ages because God’s Word is eternal and has no age limit!