Updated January 23, 2019
6 Lies Teens Believe About Sex | Lies About Sex
There are many lies about sex especially ones teens believe about sex. Lies! Lies! Lies! Where do they come from? How do they take root in our lives so much so that we believe them as truth and base our sexual decisions off them?
The enemy whose very identity is to lie, “…When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies” (John 8:44),wants to DESTROY your purity. He will use guys we date, family members we trust, and friends we rely on to speak lies over our life that will lead you into a path of sexual destruction. These lies take root into our spirit and become the very identity and mottos in life we look towards to help guide our sexual decisions.
How can we stop it? Should we stop it?
God has given us such a vital source for truth and that is the bible.
I know for many the bible isn’t very popular for sex advice but it should be. Why is that? The bible speaks on our lives as it was originally designed, as a whole. God created us in His image (Gen. 1:27) and this includes our sexuality. So who better to ask than the Creator of all? Through His Word, He WILL help direct your steps in your journey of sexual purity. It’s time to hear truth.
For so long, I believed in each of the lies listed below and because I believed them I made reckless decisions in the area of sex. Have you believed them yourself? Have you lived your relationships and life based off these lies? If so, I have good news.
You can start living off the truth and bring back your sexual purity.
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come” (2 Cor. 5:17). No more excuses! Time to take your life back. Let’s take a look at these lies so you can rebuke them and start walking in freedom.
Lies About Sex
1) You are just a body– How do you know if you have believed this lie? If you notice the only activity you seem to do with any particular person is have sex or engage in sexual activity, then you have allowed this lie into your life. You are not a booty call, jump off, friend with benefits, or whatever else it’s called. You are royalty of the Almighty King and its time you start acting like it.
2) You owe them something– Dinner, movies, lunch, gifts, they should all be given out of the kindness and love of someone’s heart not because they expect you to give them something back physically. This can also goes both ways. If you are using your body to get stuff, then it is a form of prostitution. This may seem a little harsh or exaggerated but I’m here to speak truth. Let’s call it what it is so we gain perspective and change it. Know your worth!
3) If you don’t, somebody else will– If the main or even one of the motivations to have sex with someone is so they don’t have sex with someone else, then you have believed this lie. You are BOTH worth waiting for. If they don’t want to wait, then they weren’t in it for YOU to begin with. Move on!
4) Its no big deal– After a bible study session on sexual purity, one of my teens told me before the session she thought sex was no big deal. One of the ways the devil has twisted the idea of sex is by making it seem like it’s nothing other than changing your clothes or brushing your teeth. Have you ever witnessed someone in a horrible abusive relationship and not being able to walk away? It’s most likely because they are sexually bonded to them and it’s become like an addiction or god to them. That’s just one example of what can happen if you bond yourself with someone outside the safety of a godly marriage.
5) You should know what someone is like in bed BEFORE you marry them– Trust me you will have lots of time to get to know each other sexually AFTER you’re married to them. The world wants you to believe that once you get married sex stops. Like my BFF once said, “Sex can’t stop if it never started.” This basically means if you remained sexually pure before marriage, then once you are married the beautiful journey of sex BEGINS not vice versa!
6) Give them what they want, you will get what you want– This is definitely one I believed. I wanted someone to love me unconditionally and commit to me. I thought by having sex with guys I would get this faster and it would last. However, this was quite the opposite. Not only did the relationships not last but sometimes they never even started.
These are just a few of the lies turned into mottos I use to live by and it caused great destruction as you can read in my testimony. Lies spoken straight from the pits of hell and used as a guideline to relationships and sex. The Lord met me where I was and thankfully He didn’t leave me there. He reached out His hand and in return I had to give Him mine. He has a better life for you. Will you accept it? Will you search the Word for truth? Your life depends on it! “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge…” (Hosea 4:6).
Father, forgive me for believing these lies. I ask that you rebuke each of these lies and deceptions from my mind. Lead me into right thinking by meditating on Your Word so my mind can be renewed. I pray for healing in my sexual past so I can move forward in my journey of sexual purity. In the mighty Name of Jesus, Amen!
Basket of Blessings!
Jesus, family, ministry, and lots of coffee! My heart comes from being a young teen girl who didn’t know much and found Jesus in a dark time. My ministry focuses on the heart of God for this generation to make Godly decisions especially in the area of purity. A blog for all ages because God’s Word is eternal and has no age limit!